Washington Replace Title

Replace Car Title

Replacing your Car Title

You need a title in order to sell your vehicle, so if your car title has been lost or stolen, you have no choice but to replace it. In that case, you've come to the right place. We will walk you through the process of getting your car title replaced as quickly and painlessly as possible. Just select your state and click "Get Started."

Replace Lost or Stolen Title in Washington

How to replace your lost title in Washington

If the title for your vehicle has been lost or stolen or damaged in such a way that it is unreadable, you can apply for a duplicate title. A vehicle cannot be bought or sold if it is missing a title. So make sure you obtain a new title before trying to sell.

Documents Needed for a Replacement Title:

  1. Affidavit of Loss Form - Must be signed by owners
  2. Application Form - Must be notarized
  3. Original Title - If you have the original, but it has been damaged, you must turn this in with your other documents.
  4. Separate Application for each lien holder
    In the case of any liens against the vehicle, each lien holder must complete an application, and have it notarized.


A $9 duplicate title fee will be required along with the proper documents. If you turn in the application in person, an additional fee will be charged. If mailing the application, include a check or money order. If paying in person, you may use a check or cash.


You may turn in the documents and fees in person at your local vehicle licensing office. Or mail your application and fee to :

Department of Licensing
P.O. Box 9909
Olympia, Washington 98507-8500