New Car Title
Getting your New Car Title
Any time a vehicle changes ownership, taking care of the title transfer is a critical part of the process. Fortunately, Car-Title.org is here to make it easy for you. Our staff has researched the title transfer process for every state, so all the information you need is right here at your fingertips. Just select your state and click "Get Started."
New Title and Title Transfers in Colorado
How to get a new and transfer title in Colorado
When you get a state issued title in Colorado it verifies that you are the legal owner of your vehicle. If you are purchasing a new vehicle it is required by the state to have a new title in Colorado. If you have a used car you want to give away or sell you will have to do a title transfer within 30 days.
Getting a new title on a new vehicle:
When you purchase a new vehicle the dealership will usually handle the title process. They will submit the necessary fees and paperwork for the buyer to get a new title in Colorado. If you would like to handle this process on your own you also have that option.
How to transfer over a title:
Fill out the following documents and pay the required fees:
- Have the seller sign the title over to you. The title must include the federal odometer disclosure if the vehicle is less than ten years old.
- If you don't have the selling price and date on the title make sure to include the bill of sale signed by both parties and get it notarized.
- Emission test proof, if applicable for your county of residence.
- If your vehicle is less than ten years old you will need an odometer disclosure statement if it's not indicated on the title.
- Remember to include your ID or Colorado driver's license.
- Have a copy or the original vehicle's financing statement or security agreement.
- Proof of liability insurance coverage.
- A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Verification form completed by an authorized person, if previously titled outside Colorado.
- License fees.
- Sales tax on purchase price.
- Ownership tax based on the vehicle's original value and the model year.